Friday, August 04, 2006

Summer Reading List

Its August 4th - have you read anything wonderful yet this summer? I've filled my head with some great fiction (The History of Love, There Will Never Be Another You, Daniel Isn't Talking, Hummingbird's Daughter, The Natural, The Fixer, The Nimrod Flip Out, Intuition, Now is the Time to Open Your Heart, Roscoe) some serious nonfiction (The End of Poverty, Omnivore's Dilemma, Small Things Considered) and a whole lot of fiction and nonfiction about autism (a new fascination of mine).

I've not wasted enough time watching television, although I did finally see the finale of The West Wing including CJ's great moment as philanthropic advisor. And I haven't seen a movie except Wordplay (Even though I spend every morning with Will Shortz' work and Neil Conan's voice I'd prefer to keep them in their rightful media places, paper and radio respectively). I haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth though I have been to www.climatecrisis.org to learn how bad global warming is, have been riding my bike to work and walking everywhere else, and have driven my partner to distraction trying to convince her that we can fit us, kids and the dog into a hybrid civic.

I've also turned the incredible scientific story about Archimedes, the goatskin paper, and the particle accelerator into a kids tale and have repeated it to my son and his friends no less than 15 times at their requests. We'll be watching the webcast this afternoon - how about you?

What have you read? What have you learned? What are you going to do with it?

No comments: