Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Conferences that Matter Fall Edition 2009.2.1

Back in the Spring I wrote about some conferences that matter to philanthropy. That list can be found here. As we head into autumn we approach the second great conference season of the year - here is my Fall list of conferences that matter.

Let me make something clear at the start. I go to a lot of conferences. I speak at a lot of conferences. And even with all that there are still some conferences that I wish I could get to but can't. The following list is a mix of the above - the conferences that I think matter enough that I've agreed to speak at them (note I think the conference is important therefore I accept an invitation. I don't think the conference is important because I'm there). Many on this list are conferences that I won't be going to (schedule conflicts) but wish that I could - because they offer new ways of thinking about social change, philanthropy, good work, or public benefit. And finally, there are some conferences that are on this list because others have voted with their feet - they've sold out already, so someone (especially in this economy) is clearly motivated by the program.

But not everyone likes conferences. For all of us, the decision to go is getting tougher - not just because of cost but because of choice. I was struck a few months ago by a tweet from Rosetta Thurman in which she asked

"Am I gonna attend any #nonprofit conferences this fall? Dunno. Paying to hear speakers is getting old when I can talk to my peers for free."

That's a key question. Clearly, conferences are tough sells in these times. Not just because of slashed travel budgets, but because twitter has taken the great "conference hallway conversation" and put it online. So the pressure is on. Which may be why Tides is challenging Stephen Colbert to attend their (must attend) Momentum. What other great conference PR tricks have you seen?

Here's my list. Please chime in with your suggestions.

Social Capital Markets 2009 - known colloquially as SoCap09, San Francisco, September 1-3 2009, Discount code available (through 8/14 only - use "NK40" for 40% off)
SoCap matters. Last year's inaugural meeting launched with great fanfare and 300+ day of conference registrants. The topic - where money and meaning come together. The focus - financing change - philanthropy, investment, social enterprise, social media. This year featuers some big announcements on measuring change. It's all here. Let's see if they can avoid a "sophomore slump" and continue to push the discussion further. They're already doing a great job on twitter, facebook, linkedin. Full disclosure: I'm moderating a session on metrics.

The Opportunity Collaboration has the potential to be another conference that matters. This one is about ideas and deals - bringing together actors to develop and act together. The specific goal is to matchmake global poverty fighting organizations. I wish them luck, and wish I could have fit it into the schedule. It is brand new this year - hope it works. Ixtapa, Mexico, October 17-20, 2009.

Government agencies may actually be leading social organizations when it comes to using new tools - the Government2.0 conference will show off some of the geekiest good government efforts. Washington DC, September 9-11. On this same topic, if the Sunlight Foundation hosted a conference or any events on the west coast, I'd be there in a heartbeat. For that matter, I'd head to almost any conversation hosted by the Berkman Center at Harvard. I also think that the State of Play conversations are key to understanding where we're all headed (Even more so now that Beth Noveck has joined the Obama adminstration)

PopTech, Camden Maine, October 21-24, 2009
Big ideas on tech and social change. This year the group will "reimagine America." Pop!Tech will "take a top-to-bottom look at America’s opportunities, its challenges, and its future."

Design matters. Thinking differently matters. A few places that I think will be putting out some great ideas - from sources well beyond the usual philanthropy conference suspects - are The CUSP conference in Chicago (September 16-17) and A Better World By Design, Providence RI (October 2-4). Design is more than making things look good and work well, it involves a methodology for thinking, an openess to creative ideas, and a willingness to take on complicated problems. Both of these conferences would be great fun.

Then there is the IdeaFestival in Lousville, KY (September 23-26). This has been on my radar screen for awhile, partly because its tagline reads "If it can possible go together it comes together here." Sounds like a way to think across disparate sectors with a wonderful group of thinkers. I can't make it to Louisville, so I've been following on Facebook.

When it comes to technology and change Tim O'Reilly and crew should be followed. This October (20-22) in San Francisco brings the Web 2.0 summit - always interesting and horizon- setting. I'm a BIG FAN of the magazine Next American City - and think that the Global Creative Economy Convergence Summit looks verrrry interesting (It has game designers and social investors on the agenda). Maybe I can get to Philadelphia on October 5 and 6th.

Major foundation conferences this Fall include the Community Foundation annual gathering in San Antonio (October 5-7) and the Communications Network meeting (October 14-16 in NYC, which sold out months ago, must be something going on there). Business for Social Responsibility, Investors Circle, and Social Venture Network (my company is a member of SVN) all hold useful gatherings for commercial enterprises with a social mission.

Finally, I'll also be following the "techforsociety" event series from Ashoka Tech - I've been promised they'll be covered on twitter.

Many thanks to @sinatraj for offering up his suggestions for this list. What about you? What conferences will you attend and why?

9 comments:

mikekarnj said...

The Feast Conference in NYC on October 1st is a great one around social innovation.

http://www.feastongood.com

Unknown said...

Nonprofit Human Resources Conference is another great conference. @nonprofithrconf

Edith Asibey said...

I'm attending the Communications Network conference in NYC Oct 14-16, as I have for the last two years (FYI, I'm presenting a session on establishing baselines for communications efforts). It's the only venue I know of where I can hear how foundations are using communications to improve their programs, increase their transparency and better support their grantees. If you can't get in this year, follow it on the Communications Network's blog and on Twitter.

Tutor Mentor Connections said...

I have hosted a Tutor/Mentor Leadership and Networking conference in Chicago every six months since 1994. I'll be hosting the next on Nov. 19 and 20 at Northwestern University. See http://www.tutormentorconfernence.org

This conference is not just two days of workshops and networking. It's part of an overall effort to help build more volunteer based tutor/mentor programs in high poverty Chicago regions.

Ingvild Bjornvold said...

I'm planning a track for ETOlution 2009 in November. Funders and practitioners in human services will come together to share tips on how to manage performance toward client outcomes in practice, and "Building High Performing Communities" - probably the most hands-on conference on the topic, since most are already managing performance at some level.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever been to the COF Community Foundation conference? ( yawn)

Justin said...

Awesome post - any winter conferences you know of?

George Ritacco said...

Lucy, will you be updating this post again for 2012? Would be great to see what you think are the top draws this year - despite the current economy. In speaking with many nonprofits - the landscape continues to change at lightening speed and many are choosing to stay close to home.

George Ritacco said...

Lucy, will you be updating this post again for 2012? Would be great to see what you think are the top draws this year - despite the current economy. In speaking with many nonprofits - the landscape continues to change at lightening speed and many are choosing to stay close to home.